Friday, January 05, 2007

"Because"

Because

Because of you I wear a seat belt.
Because of you I know what love is.
Because of you I have sympathy for animals.
Because of you I know how a woman can worship a man with her body.
Because of you I’m not afraid to come home
Because of you I’m not afraid to go out.
Because of you I watch my blood pressure and take my pills.
Because of you I know woman as well as a man can.
Because of you I am a better writer.
Because of you I know loss because I nearly lost you.
Because of you I have wept in front of the children.
Because of you I have broken doors in anger.
Because of you I can sometimes move gracefully.
Because of you I dress better.
Because of you I think my life might not be a waste.
Because of you I believe in the love of God.
Because of you I am always in love.
If only God were as loving as you!


People seemed to enjoy yesterday's "pattern poem," distinguished by a repetition reminiscent of the pantoum. In any case, this was written for Kathleen, who, despite the greatness of her brain, is still ruled by her heart--which is a gift to all who know her.


2.5 Kilorats,

CE

2 comments:

  1. well, I quite like these.
    I hope she appreciates the complement :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like the pattern poems. It's a form I might actually be able to accomplish myself.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinion!

Unexpected Light

Unexpected Light
Selected Poems and Love Poems 1998-2008 ON SALE NOW!