Friday, April 13, 2007

More on Ordinary

Yesterday I happened upon a theme, the ordinary. Here's another poem on that theme, published in 2 River View as "They Were Enough":


The Anonymous

I slept with the anonymous dead
in mass graves,
quick-lime for blankets,
loose earth above,
and drilled a hole up
so light could tickle their bones,
but they didn't care.

So I sat with them,
those who never held a microphone
or received a medal,
whose chief recognition
was a birthday,
until I learned their secret:
They were enough,
in themselves, to matter.


Thine in Ordinariness,

CE

3 comments:

  1. I like the shift in tone from stanza 1 to 2. That really works well. It's a fine poem, CE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sam. I made it the last poem in my first (and only) published collection, "Elementary," so I guess I liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinion!

Unexpected Light

Unexpected Light
Selected Poems and Love Poems 1998-2008 ON SALE NOW!