Thursday, November 25, 2010

Too Much Stuff!

I've paid mucho bucks over the years for a storage unit for stuff I couldn't fit into my domicile for about seventeen years, from Long Beach to Mexico and all the way to Mendocino, CA, preserving stuff I couldn't fit into my house.  (I love the late George Carlin's monologue on stuff, don't you?  If you haven't heard it, here's a link:

Stuff by George Carlin

I am happy to announce that as of November 21, 2010, I emptied my storage unit of all stuff and ensconced my stuff inside my own roughly 800 square foot cottage on the Mendocino Coast.  I am busy sorting through, re-packaging, reducing, and deciding what can be thrown and what ought to be preserved, but the primary thing, the primary thing, is that

I HAVE BEEN LIBERATED FROM AMERICAN EXCESS.  I DON'T NEED EXTRA SPACE TO STORE MY STUFF ANYMORE!

America, wake up!  You have too much stuff.  You have storage units and garages crammed full of stuff, and attics and sheds and whatever shelter you can find for your damned stuff.  I say if the stuff is of any value it should live with you; if it cannot live with you in real time and space then rid yourself of it--give it to the poor, donate it to thrift stores, do whatever you have to do to live more leanly on the earth, for we Americans, although we constitute only 4% of the world's population, nevertheless consume 25% of the world's goods.  Prosperity is good but gluttony is not.

We have lost control of our stuff.  Time to get our stuff under control. 

Follow my example, I urge you, and you will know my joy--that all my stuff is under one roof and I live with it.  All my stuff is of such value now that we coexist in time and space.  Anything less is an indulgence in material overpossession.  Do not be possessed by your possessions!

Namaste,

Craig Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your opinion!

Unexpected Light

Unexpected Light
Selected Poems and Love Poems 1998-2008 ON SALE NOW!