Thursday, December 07, 2006

Triolet: "The Mariner;" Shrink Gives Hope

The Mariner

The Mariner blessed the sea snakes unawares.
They roiled and flamed upon the green glass sea.
(An albatross divided wheat from tares.)
The Mariner blessed the sea snakes unawares.
His dry mouth croaked out penitential prayers,
His penance to re-tell his history.
The Mariner blessed the sea snakes unawares.
They roiled and flamed upon the green glass sea.


My psychiatrist gave me hope yesterday. I had become a little angry and irritable and he said, “A fighting spirit is good.” He changed my medications logically and showed real concern, emphasizing that he would be back from vacation in two weeks and again be available. Kathleen came along and was impressed with him. She opened a discussion about ECT and the doctor promised to look into a facility with a proper protocol and a negotiable payment plan.

All ye that have medical insurance in this country, thank your stars. One third of Americans lack it.

I have always considered “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” and “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” the two greatest poems in the language. (That they happen to be my favorites may affect my judgment.) Today’s poem is obviously a tribute to “The Rime.”

I forced myself last night to attend an independent publisher’s group, and in putting on my social face I could pretend not to be depressed for the duration. The doctor’s visit and forced socializing did improve my mood for the evening, though before the afternoon appointment with the doctor I was in pretty bad shape.

I will not rate my mood today, but I am feeling marginally better.


Thanks for all the kind encouragement,

CE

4 comments:

  1. CE, you don't know me, although I've read your blog from time to time and even had a poem published in Melic. I'm just stopping by to say: hang in there. The more you pretend, the more the pretending eventually turns into truth. If you pretend you have a life, then you do. Sounds stupid and useless when depression as an illness controls you, I know. Just hang in there. . .best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CE,

    Thought you might be interested in this article by Lucasta Miller on T.R.O.T.A.M. at The Guardian:

    Lost at sea

    Rus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christine. That has long been my approach, but without biochemical help I can't break through. Glad to have published you!

    Rus--fine article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you are feeling a little better, my all time favorite poem is also The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, an amazing poem.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinion!

Unexpected Light

Unexpected Light
Selected Poems and Love Poems 1998-2008 ON SALE NOW!