Saturday, August 05, 2006

About the Bible

I’m a confessed Christian but sometimes I go through phases when I wonder what use it is and subsequently feel attracted to another path more than usually. Still, other religions don’t satisfy my hunger for realism. The history of the Jewish people and their rejected messiah, given to the Gentiles, seems too good to be true. But one thing that makes me think the Bible true, or inspired, is its incessant need for material reality in order to confirm spiritual things.

Circumcision, crucifixion, animal sacrifice, the remnant of which is the Eucharist. Judaism is very concrete.

Another reason: If the Bible were propaganda why would it so painstakingly include all the failures of its heroes? David was a murderer and adulterer, who in his dotage let the royal house go to pieces, which led to a national schism. After Christ repeatedly told the disciples he would die in Jerusalem, all his disciples deserted him after his arrest save the youngest, John. And these pantywaists became apostles. Further, whoever described the foibles of the disciples in detail must have been pretty close to the action.

Compared with other traditions, the stories in the Bible smell of reality, like the straw of a manger--not just spirituality.



***************

I thought I’d write about something other than myself. And I did it in under 500 words, amazing.

BTW, I'm absent a poetry student right now for the first time in a long time, so if you know anyone who wants a poetry tutor, check out the course description.

In the new Poet's Market they speak of "poetry coaches." I just learned of "life coaches!"

I think the need for coaches is a fine example of a service economy.


Keep those Kilobunnies Hopping,

CE

6 comments:

  1. I need a life coach. I've needed a life coach since day one. I need someone who'll tell me what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and why to do it. I need someone to give me a serious kick in the ass.

    I think that's what Melic was for me back in the day when Melic was a board to be reckoned with. A poetry coach. All those wonderful poets that used to post there managed to offer constructive criticism and encourage me. That little group of people felt like family and I swear, every single one of them made me want to be a better writer.

    So, are you out of the kilorats and back into the bunnies?

    (If you don't mind my saying, I was shocked, frankly, to read that you're a christian--so many chronically depressed folks I know, myself included, have given up on god since when one is depressed it feels as though god has given up on them. I stopped believing in god when he stopped believing in me--which I guess means I stopped believing in god when I stopped believing in me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel, the reason I'm a Christian is not because it makes me happier (it may not), or for some eternal reward or for moral guidance in this world. I am a Christian because I have not been able to satisfy my mind that the historic record of Christ is not true. Once you admit one miracle the others follow easily. Faith is a miracle; to sustain faith in depression is very difficult. I don't blame folks who sour on the idea of a God of love under such circumstances. And I'm sure God forgives them.

    My biggest criticism of God dovetails with yours: He has much too much faith in us.

    I've felt like Job at times (I have three daughters).

    I wish my faith were more emotional, that it penetrated my being with light. I don't know that it doesn't, I don't know how sick or unhappy I might be if I did not believe. Remind me to go to church tomorrow. I need some bread and wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I wish my faith were more emotional, that it penetrated my being with light."

    I've felt that way when reading philosophy from time to time, but that's about it. In fact, I could use a philosophy coach - I'm always afraid I'm not interpreting what I'm reading correctly.

    And I'm curious, what does the "yo!' mean in your blogroll? Is that like Bush saying "Yo! Blair!" at the G8 summit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I believe in Jesus. I just don't believe in god. (smile) I guess what I mean is, I believe that anyone of us could be and probably is Jesus at any given moment, which essentially is what god is, eh? I guess what I'm saying when I profess my disbelief is that I don't see/feel that Jesus potential in myself nor in many of the people around me.

    I miss my faith. I was baptized and confirmed in the Catholic church and as a child had a very literal and powerful belief in god. When I was a kid, I really believed that the church was god's house. I used to be filled with awe when I entered the dim, statue and stain-glass filled church where I worshipped as a child. I miss my belief in god as much as I miss my belief in Santa Claus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Christ in you, the hope of glory." I may post a poem for you on the subject of faith, I think you'll enjoy it.

    My great problem with the trinity is the Son. I can't relate to Jesus. The Holy Spirit is the one person of God I can accept without too much struggle. My faith isn't as tortured as Kierkegaards. For me, it's like poetry. I believe because I can't not believe. I write because I can't not write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Yo!" I typed in my preferences as an alternative to "New!"

    Seems it got your attention, Twitches, so it's working.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinion!

Unexpected Light

Unexpected Light
Selected Poems and Love Poems 1998-2008 ON SALE NOW!