My blogger hero has posted nothing new for two weeks, in direct opposition to the advice he gave me, namely to blog every day. He also told me that the best way to increase my traffic was to back-link to those who posted on my blog and add them to my own links, afterwards posting a clever message at their site to lure others to my lair—I mean blog. He also showed me how to put up links Someone else turned me on to a stats tracker, which I needed to monitor traffic.
I followed the plan, but now I think blogging is a bit of a pyramid scheme.
Search engines deliver 25% of my traffic; the other 75% is directly from other websites, chiefly blogs from which the blogger visits me to improve her traffic as I visit them to improve mine.
In checking the websites that referred the most traffic to me, I found that traffic, based on daily referrals, most likely consisted of the blogger herself, because the number of referred visits is not too far behind the number of days she's been linked to me.
I conclude that blogging, like poetry, is sustained mainly by its participants, who pass for real traffic while indulging in electronic back-scratching.
Yet in the art and film worlds, doesn't this also obtain?
Perhaps I'm just curmudgeonly because it's late and I shall sleep after this post.
I'd like to hear some bloggers' comments about the pyramid nature of the blogosphere.
At 1.5 kilorats,