Saturday, September 16, 2006

Another Poem on Beds

Yesterday I failed to recollect that I had another poem involving a bed which I hadn't posted, and thus, in the interests of truth in recollection I provide it for you today, unpublished, once workshopped, written a little over a year ago when Kathleen and I were stuck near San Diego for several months on a tiny full-size bed, naturally uncomfortable, in a week-to-week rental of a studio cottage, not that I'm complaining, as it was much better than being homeless.

Here goes:



(After Life)

I have forgotten how to sleep.
The shock cords of my ligaments
and poles of my bones
belong to that bargain tent
you can never get back in the bag.

Like the fossil of a pterodactyl
impossibly mangled in rock
I groove the mattress,
arranging and rearranging
the angles of my skeleton
until exhaustion intervenes.
I do not call it sleep.

I resent the hell out of gravity.
My wife says I twitch all night.
When I wake to find her on the couch
I blame my lumbering ancestor,
the lobefin fish,
for the second great mistake.



At Rodent Neutral,

Thine,

CE

p.s. The pain of the poem above has been much ameliorated by the Magic Bed II.

3 comments:

  1. Hey CE,

    I love the unwieldy tent image. The body, to me, often feels like an unflattering accessory for the mind.
    I’m a little unsure of the “rotisserie of pain,” but I don’t have any suggestions at the moment.

    Enjoyed,

    Jarod

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a sharp student, Jarod. I dropped "rotissierie" before at a board's urging but somehow it crept back into the poem. Thanks for mentioning it (I lost it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good bed poem. Can't say I'd change anything - I always enjoy reading your poems.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinion!

Unexpected Light

Unexpected Light
Selected Poems and Love Poems 1998-2008 ON SALE NOW!