Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Dostoevsky and Thoreau

Today's quotes; which is which?


"I am wont to think that men are not so much the keepers of herds as herds are the keepers of men, the former are so much the freer."

"The best definition of man is the ungrateful biped."


It has occurred to me that since I've been feeling better, there has been no sufficient account of my interior workings, which is natural when one is no longer depressed, as one's attention turns to things other than oneself. Nevertheless, I think it only fair that I try, perhaps tomorrow, to write about my new experience of consciousness with at least half the avidity with which I described the dark side of my illness. More anon.


Thine,

CE

2 comments:

  1. the second one definately Dostoyevsky - sure doesn't mince his words.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinion!

Unexpected Light

Unexpected Light
Selected Poems and Love Poems 1998-2008 ON SALE NOW!